[At-Large] [New gTLD RG] [ALAC] gTLD Review Group decisions regarding the comments on objection grounds on the ".book" application by Amazon EU s.a.r.l

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 22:26:00 UTC 2012

The fact that Google is generally considered to be an intermediary service
provider, they need to demonstrate that in not allowing second level .blog
names to end users is not contrary to global public interest. Policy
influences that largely impact on how Google operates.

My main concern would be whether we have access to a Study on the Impact of
Closed Generic Term Registries and the Impact on global public interest,
ICANN's core mission etc. If such a study was done, grateful if the
community could point out to me a link so I can read.

   - Closing off generic name spaces for exclusive use in the wake of
   extremely poor global campaigns and awareness where ICANN or the gTLD
   programme is involved;
   - Challenges for end users and consumers noting that there are consumer
   groups that have already started lobbying US Senate on the perceived harm;
   - Controversies surrounding changing the rules during the game vrs GAC
   Intervention;
   - Regulatory trends within the US will have an impact on ICANN's policy
   decisions as far as anti trust, competition is concerned, we have recently
   seen this when the The Honorable Philip S. Gutierrez, United States
   District Judge on 4 August 2012 *Manwin Licensing International
   S.A.R.L., et al. v. ICM Registry, LLC, et al.*had ruled that
   “anti-trust” claims could be filed over controversial .xxx [see:
   http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/tal/icann.pdf ]. Not for profit organisations
   may be subject to the *Sherman Act*.
   - On one hand, we are saying we advocate an open and free internet but
   the mere granting Sponsoring organisations exclusive rights over gTLDs
   without ensuring that these organisations open up registrations of second
   level domain to others becomes reminiscent of Incumbent Telecom operators
   pre-liberalisation of markets and whilst it will generate substantial
   revenue for both these sponsoring organisations and ICANN, it will
   [eventually] force someone either within the US [Senate or DoC] where this
   could mean that since ICANN is incapable of self-regulatory aspects to
   protect global public interest that it may be regulated. This same argument
   can be used by those Governments who already feel that ICANN should be
   internationalized if not regulated;