[At-Large] R: Board solicitation of input on how it should receive input and advice

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Oct 3 20:55:38 UTC 2012

I guess that I had read the questions somewhat
differently from most others who have commented
here. If that is all they are asking, I am not at
all sure I want to be leading the reply effort.

Moreover, I am not even sure that they asked some of the right questions.

I believe that this is a case of a broken (or not
yet invented) model and not an implementation
problem. So yes, we should be told why our advice
is being rejected, and we should be given a
mechanism to understand how the Board arrived at
some decision. And that is surely part of the overall answer.

But there are other questions asked. For example,
how can the diverse communities work together to
provide input. At least one of the examples they
use is flawed, in that the At-Large contribution
to the STI was severely hampered at the very end
of the process, changing the planned two active
participants to one. Some of us have spent untold
hours with the aftermath of the JAS group
administrative nightmare, another of the examples
that is referenced. And then the horrible public
relations related to the GNSO trying to figure
out how joints groups should function. So we are
far from understanding how to do this effectively.

Unspoken is the real question of how can the
Board understand the diverse needs and ideas of
the community and make GOOD decisions. I believe
that the answer dose not solely lie in how to
write reports that represents everyone's views,
while making sure that they are sufficiently
short to ensure that all Board members actually
read. This mode of tossing papers over brick
walls does not work well, and I don't think that minor refinements will fix it.

Getting comprehensible positions from very
diverse groups, and doing it quickly and with
very few resources is not easy. Communicating the
outcomes is arguably even harder. And having
those outcomes and the logic supporting them
understood by the Board is harder still. Just as
dialogue is part of the answer to the first
steps, it must also be part of the answer in
communicating with the Board. Not just talking at one another. Dialogue.

Alan