[At-Large] gTLD Review Group decisions regarding the comments by IT for Change, India

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 27 15:57:37 UTC 2012

Thanks for your response, Avri.

Yes, it makes it relatively clearer.

You say that it is within the scope of the WG to give advice on the
private gTLD issue. You have pointed to me to the page where the listed
issues for the WG can be seen. Here I see that on the issue of private
gTLDs the token holder (not exactly sure what it means though) is Evan
Leibovitch.

However, in an email on 25th Sept, on the newspaper article that I did
on private gtlds, Evan had the following to say....

    " This would have been an extremely useful intervention ... three years ago.   In its current form it's merely an act of hindsight, and as such its value is severely diminished."

post on the ICANN website, Evan posted a response which claims that

    "While I share the concerns and have expressed many myself, the
    ability to affect gTLD expansion policy in this direction is also
    long passed."

If the token holder of the issue of private tlds so firmly believes that
this issue is not something that anything can be done about at present,
I wonder what is the discussion about. Also your assurance that the WG
can indeed yet advice ICANN on this issue seems contrary to Evan's
claim. So, well, my confusion has not entirely cleared.

Parminder