[At-Large] ICANN News Alert -- Update on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Amendments

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Thu Sep 27 13:44:01 UTC 2012

On 26 Sep 2012, at 15:52, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> On 26 September 2012 06:24, "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <
> michele at blacknight.ie> wrote:
>

>>> Good point. Still more costly than nothing, especially for a smaller
>>> registrar with a low volume, and also for those who handle
>>> out-of-country registrations. But by more expensive, I suspect we are
>>> still talking pennies in most cases.
>>
>> No - it's quite a lot more. Stuart Lawley gave some numbers which I think
>> were in the region of $7 / domain.
>> You can probably do it for a lower price if you are only dealing with your
>> home market, but the internet is global ..
>>

> The internet may be global, but situations in which a local vendor (or a
> foreign vendor with a local presence/partner) has an advantage are hardly
> unique to the domain selling biz. Not everything in business can be done by
> remote control, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
>

>> As you all know there are several regions of the world that are not
>> particularly well served in terms of registrars etc.,
>
> If ICANN / LEA push the phone verification too far then they'll be widening
>> the digital divide ..
>>

> On the contrary, by your account such a move would encourage more
> opportunities for local or regional registrars in areas currently served
> only by foreigners.

No it wouldn't

If there aren't registrars serving a particular area directly there's usually a reason for it ie. it's not economically attractive / viable

> Hmm... improve A&T while promoting domestic industries... you may be onto
> something.

Some countries have been trying to do this, but they've managed to get it completely backwards eg. Kazakstan that now requires all nameservers to be physically in country - so much for redundancy!

> - Evan

>>> Not really. Just trying to put a good twist on a very sad story. And
>>> I kinda like the concept of moving forward and making NEW stupid
>> mistakes...
>>>
>>> Alan

>>> At-Large Official Site: http://atlarge.icann.org
>>
>> Mr Michele Neylon