[At-Large] ICANN News Alert -- Update on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Amendments

Derek Smythe derek at aa419.org
Wed Sep 26 18:09:26 UTC 2012

On 9/26/2012 4:37 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> On 26 September 2012 08:46, Eduardo Diaz <eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> In some instances (i.e. whoever wants to fake their info) email and
>> telephone verification will be valid just up to the moment the domain gets
>> registered. Both email and telephone can be made bogus after that.  Just
>> like Yellow Pages books, once they are published  they are already
>> obsolete.
>>

> I was thinking this too.
>
> Of course, there could be post- registration re-checks -- either scheduled,
> random or on-demand (ie, if there is a problem contacting the registrant
> using existing available WHOIS info).
>
> I regularly get messages from various sources to "re-validate" the
> information they have on hand.
>
> - Evan

True. You could also exclude certain telephone number ranges, example
(+447..., +448.. - forwarding numbers) email address with no source IP
in the headers and/or certain IP addresses or ranges (known VPNs/Proxies).

As to get back to physical verification as an alternative, the
reseller channel could be more than invaluable:

> What about using a third party certifier before being able to register a
> domain? Kind of a global domain passport? Is this something that can be
> considered?
>
> -ed

A local reseller has more knowledge regarding local challenges i.t.o.
identification than a distant registrar will normally have. They will
also probably be much better at doing it. So apply the verification
process locally, get a token and use at any registrar. That token can
be used for however many domains.

Lets take a quick look at what happens if the parties involved do not
know one another and under the current policies. By no choice of
definition can we say this serves legitimate internet users.

http://hosts-file.net/?s=67.23.230.35&view=matches

(Incidentally, looking at the domain registration details shows a mix
and match of telephone numbers, addresses and emails.)

Derek