[At-Large] ICANN News Alert -- Update on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Amendments

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 26 13:58:42 UTC 2012

At 26/09/2012 08:46 AM, Eduardo Diaz wrote:

>In some instances (i.e. whoever wants to fake their info) email and
>telephone verification will be valid just up to the moment the domain gets
>registered. Both email and telephone can be made bogus after that.  Just
>like Yellow Pages books, once they are published  they are already
>obsolete.
>
>You can have all the rules in place to try to "verify" who you are by
>chequing Email & Tel at the moment of registration but in going forward who
>knows who you are if these are not valid anymore.

All true. But verification does cover a large subset of issues where
deception is not part of the plan, and for those where it is, it
complicated the process.

>What about using a third party certifier before being able to register a
>domain? Kind of a global domain passport? Is this something that can be
>considered?

I'm not party to the discussions, but my take is that it is certainly
possible and would also increase the cost and delay of registering a
name (particularly your first one) very significantly. Just think of
the effort and cost of getting a certificate for certifying a web site.

Whether it is worth that or not, another question.
Alan