[At-Large] ICANN News Alert -- Update on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Amendments

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Wed Sep 26 10:24:23 UTC 2012

On 26 Sep 2012, at 06:17, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

> At 26/09/2012 12:47 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
>>> It is almost impossible these days to sign onto a mailing list or get
>>> a free id on some web site without clicking on a link in an e-mail.
>>> Yet apparently, you can register a domain name without such a nicety.
>>
>> Quite right.  Mail verification is a solved problem.
>>
>>> Phone verification is a lot more costly,
>>
>> I'm not sure I believe that.  I use a variety of services that verify
>> transactions by calling my phone number and speaking a code number I have
>> to type into their web site.  Given how low value some of the transactions
>> are, they can't be spending much on their IVR system.
>
> Good point. Still more costly than nothing, especially for a smaller
> registrar with a low volume, and also for those who handle
> out-of-country registrations. But by more expensive, I suspect we are
> still talking pennies in most cases.

No - it's quite a lot more. Stuart Lawley gave some numbers which I think were in the region of $7 / domain.
You can probably do it for a lower price if you are only dealing with your home market, but the internet is global ..

While this might not be an issue if you are in North America and only want to deal with big North American registrars, it becomes a problem when you move outside that ..

As you all know there are several regions of the world that are not particularly well served in terms of registrars etc.,

If ICANN / LEA push the phone verification too far then they'll be widening the digital divide ..

>>> Hopefully going forward, we will not make these kind of mistakes
>>> again.
>>
>> My, you're an optimist.
>
> Not really. Just trying to put a good twist on a very sad story. And
> I kinda like the concept of moving forward and making NEW stupid mistakes...
>
> Alan
>

>> R's,
>> John

Mr Michele Neylon