[At-Large] Fwd: ICANN News Alert -- Update on Registrar Accreditation Agreement Amendments

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 26 05:17:25 UTC 2012

At 26/09/2012 12:47 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
> > It is almost impossible these days to sign onto a mailing list or get
> > a free id on some web site without clicking on a link in an e-mail.
> > Yet apparently, you can register a domain name without such a nicety.
>
>Quite right.  Mail verification is a solved problem.
>
> > Phone verification is a lot more costly,
>
>I'm not sure I believe that.  I use a variety of services that verify
>transactions by calling my phone number and speaking a code number I have
>to type into their web site.  Given how low value some of the transactions
>are, they can't be spending much on their IVR system.

Good point. Still more costly than nothing, especially for a smaller
registrar with a low volume, and also for those who handle
out-of-country registrations. But by more expensive, I suspect we are
still talking pennies in most cases.

> > Hopefully going forward, we will not make these kind of mistakes
> > again.
>
>My, you're an optimist.

Not really. Just trying to put a good twist on a very sad story. And
I kinda like the concept of moving forward and making NEW stupid mistakes...

Alan