[At-Large] [ALAC] ELECTION CALL for ALAC Officers to serve from 22 October 2012 to ICANN AGM 2013

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 22:44:39 UTC 2012

I share Evan's sentiments...and offer the same mea culpa.

Let us be clear here.  I went to the Internal list before the call for
nominations with my perspective on Olivier's leadership because  I wished
to offer a view  - maybe a peculiar one - of what really makes the ALAC of
notice in ICANN affairs.

I truly believe that it takes gumption, a certain diplomatic skill, will
and the time to commit to do what Olivier has done.  And all for free.
 IMHO, these are major reasons -vested in the Chair - for what we have
collectively achieved.  Yes, all others of the Ex-Com, and indeed some
colleagues not of the Ex-Com, have played significant roles. Because once
the strategic framework is advised by the ALAC, the details of strategy and
how to put them in play are determined collectively.

I am a mere bit player with some knowledge, expertise and experience that
might be useful to advance the common endeavour.  I was asked to assume a
role and I accepted.  The role does not define who I am; I bring that to
it.  Neither is my sense of self - or value - entwined with the position.
 I am asked yet again. I have accepted, yet again. It is quite all right
for the electorate, in their wisdom, to make another  choice.

I second Evan's nomination.  Assuming acceptance of nominations of all, I
shall vote for the slate.

- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799