[At-Large] [ALAC] ELECTION CALL for ALAC Officers to serve from 22 October 2012 to ICANN AGM 2013

Carlos Vera Quintana cveraq at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:29:24 UTC 2012

This is a very relative and complex situation. 1 or 2 years seems to be a short period for those working on a position but CAN BE a very large period for those looking for having an opportunity to work. So are double periods!! It's also relative because volunteering needs some recognition and being able to fill some directive positions is the kind of recognition thats isfair for any volunteer... but here and there are people that ALWAYS are experiencing directive positions and go from body to body inside an institution and from institution to institution even SIMULTANEOUSLY because of their great experience and job but also because some time they were allowed to fill directive positions and this is the nice thing in a civil society effort....isn't?

 This is not an enterprise representation and almost everybody is looking to be able to learn more having the right opportunity sometime during their volunteer live. When volunteers have gained enough experience comes one of two things: the opportunity to serve in a directive position or some new generation leadership that does put you on retirement.

Rules have to be not only mandatory but fair rules. I guess that from hundred or even thousands of volunteers working everyday very hard maybe some dozens have been able to participate and grow with their volunteering and hard work. Also several professionals goes from volunteer to directives to staff of some corporation or institution and then is an inner circle of same excellent people And professionals but dozen not thousands.

This can not be compared AT ALL with enterprises because they do not make a volunteer work they are paid professionals that receive an amount of money to serve their enterprises interest and not to represent civil society and community interest.

So as you can see it's not rotation for rotation but  refreshment and opportunity for the whole community

I have a dream and is civil society equal opportunity to grow, to rule, to be recognized. From my personal experience is amazing how people can rule something even with no experience  if they are given the right opportunity and advice.

Civil Society is not only a group of experts... is more than that... OF COURSE!! and what normal citizen needs is support for the several complex issues that icann or internet governance demand... (I work on several citizen councils ruled by citizens and advised by experts).... If not let's reduce civil society to a small group of "experts with experience" and forget about the essence of civil society or simply hire professionals experts that rules this thing also, as enterprises do.

Carlos Vera
Enviado desde mi iPhone