[At-Large] [lac-discuss-en] They're out of IPv4 Addresses!

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Sun Sep 16 20:36:14 UTC 2012

Hi John

I can't verify Geoff's technical explanation, but he did work for Telstra as one of their star technical people and he is chief scientist with APNIC. And I did use the term carrier  but, to be more precise, ISPs in this country are also carriers - which may not be the case in other legislative regimes.  As to privacy, the other point Geoff  makes is that what is happening is contrary to the Interception legislation - or should be considered so. The difficulty with privacy legislation (not just in Australia) is the definition of 'personal information' which is the lynchpin of whether or not privacy has been breached.  Does it include phone numbers and IP addresses.  There are suggested amendments to the privacy legislation here that would, in essence, include information - that combined with other information, can identify a person (paraphrased) But one of the privacy issues is how personal information - that which is being protected - is defined.

HOlly