[At-Large] They're out of IPv4 Addresses!

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 17:54:51 UTC 2012

These are taken from the FAQs link on RIPE NCC's website that I had shared
earlier.

QWhat does RIPE NCC do with the address space that is returned?

A.When the RIPE NCC starts allocating address space from the last /8, all
IPv4 address space that is returned to the RIPE NCC will go back into the
last /8 pool of IPv4 address space. It will then be re-used to allocate
/22s to LIRs according to section 5.6 of  “IPv4 Address Allocation and
Assignment Policies for the RIPE NCC Service
Region”<http://ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv4-policies>

The rule 5.6  ( http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-553 )says:

5.6 Use of last /8 for PA Allocations

The following policies come into effect as soon as RIPE NCC is required to
make allocations from the final /8 it receives from the IANA. From then on
the distribution of IPv4 address space will only be done as follows:

   1. Allocations for LIRs from the last /8

   On application for IPv4 resources LIRs will receive IPv4 addresses
   according to the following:
   1. LIRs may only receive one allocation from this /8.  The size of the
      allocation made under this policy will be exactly one /22.
      2. LIRs receive only one /22, even if their needs justify a larger
      allocation.
      3. LIRs may apply for and receive this allocation once they meet the
      criteria to receive IPv4 address space according to the allocation policy
      in effect in the RIPE NCC service region at the time of application.
      4. Allocations will only be made to LIRs if they have already
      received an IPv6 allocation from an upstream LIR or the RIPE NCC.

   2. Assignments to Internet Exchange Point

   A /16 from the final /8 will be held in reserve for exclusive use by
   Internet Exchange Points.  On application for IPv4 resources, an Internet
   Exchange Point (IXP) will receive one number resource (/24 to /22)
   according to the following:
   - This space will be used to run an Internet Exchange Point peering LAN;
      other uses are forbidden.
      - Organisations receiving space under this policy must be Internet
      Exchange Points and must meet the definition as described in
section two of
      the RIPE document “IPv6 Address Space for Internet Exchange Points”.
      - IXPs holding other PI IPv4 space for their peering LAN (i.e. they
      are seeking a larger assignment), must return their old peering LAN
      resources back to this pool within 180 days of assignment.
      - New Internet Exchange points will be assigned a /24.  Internet
      exchange points may return this /24 (or existing PI used as an
IXP peering
      LAN) should they run out of space and receive a larger (/23, or /22 if
      utilisation requires) assignment.
      - IP space returned by Internet Exchange Points will be added to the
      reserved pool maintained for Internet Exchange Point use.
      - Assignments will only be made to IXPs who have already applied for,
      or received an IPv6 assignment for their peering LAN

   3. Unforeseen circumstance
      1. A /16 will be held in reserve for some future uses, as yet
      unforeseen. The Internet is a disruptive technology and we cannot predict
      what might happen.  Therefore it is prudent to keep a /16 in
reserve, just
      in case some future requirement makes a demand of it. In the event that
      this /16 remains unused at the time the remaining /8 covered by
this policy
      has been distributed, it returns to the pool to be distributed as per
      clause 1.

   4. Post-depletion Address Recycling

   This section only applies to address space that is returned to the RIPE
   NCC and that will not be returned to the IANA but re-issued by the RIPE NCC
   itself.
   1. Any address space that is returned to the RIPE NCC will be covered by
      the same rules as the address space intended in clause 1.
      2. Minimum allocation sizes for the relevant /8 blocks will be
      updated if necessary

   5. Insufficient address space

   In case an allocation of a single /22 as per clause 1 can no longer be
   made, multiple allocations up to an equivalent of a /22 in address space
   will be made to fulfill a request.

   Kind Regards,

   Sala