[At-Large] FW: Update on the RAA Negotiations Since Prague

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Mon Sep 10 01:47:40 UTC 2012

Hi Carlton

Privacy was one of the really hard issues that the Whois Review had to grapple with.  If you look at the initial report (as opposed to the Final and Final Final reports) two privacy issues are there. The first is how to determine registrant eligibility for the privacy server.  Should it be confined to individuals, or include organisations (clear candidates would be human rights groups in many countries, womens' refuges etc)  Trying to define eligibility will be a challenge.   The other challenge is to define who has legitimate access to the contact information held by the privacy server. 'Law enforcement agencies' was the initial thought.  But in some countries, private organisations also perform law enforcement tasks under contract to the agency.  They are performing legitimate law enforcement tasks but aren't themselves, agencies.  Should they have access.  Even more difficult are the countries where the state itself is the oppressor - and  its 'law enforcement' agencies are the very reason for the need for privacy.

I'm sure that is the reason the Final Final report backed away from any details on the proposal - and probably why discussion is being fostered now.

I suspect there will be many varied and divergent views within ALAC - all of them legitimate. Providing input on what is a complex, vexed issue will be a challenge for GAC - and for ALAC.

Holly