[At-Large] [ALAC] Fwd: Re: [ALAC-Announce] Fwd: Call for input on: "Impact of new gTLDs on ICANN's structure"

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 00:31:37 UTC 2012

I can agree with the general thrust of Christopher's arguments here.  And I
believe that there is indeed evidence now available we can draw on for
action.

Certainly and by whatever margin it is enlarged, the gTLD space shall
impose a greater burden on ICANN Compliance. As of now and even coming on
significant improvements, several practical indicators suggest Compliance
yet struggles on task.

The emerging consensus appears to be that as it is now constituted, the
ICANN Compliance practice is not fit to purpose.  And relief is unlikely in
current context. In fact, it is more likely to deteriorate with addition of
an even more onerous workload from new gTLDs.

The fundamental problem is one of philosophy driving the practice. We are
on record demanding a new philosophy of compliance that would drive the
work and practice of ICANN Compliance.  The trending data gave some hope
for awhile. However, in light of several definitive public avowals from
ICANN staff, including one at Prague, it now appears that change is hostage
to an ascendant - [ICANN corporate] - philosophy which says ICANN is not a
regulator AND does not perform a regulatory role in the domain name system
space.

For some of us, this declaration compels a negation of the evidence of your
own two lying eyes! And then, to suspend belief.  Ye olde Daffy Duck
routine; that thar duck be a chicken!

Put the kerfuffle re budget-neutral gTLD ops in the same category as above.
 We are called to connive at error, altogether defying reason and good
commonsense.

A new philosophy for compliance could likely be nurtured by bold
organizational changes in ICANN corporate.  We are not alone here; the
WHOIS RT Report recommended it and the ALAC endorsed.

I can also see an increased role for Cross Community Working Groups (CCWGs)
in policy development.  This will likely mean a rethink - or more likely,
 a nuanced modulation - of GNSO sensibilities.

- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799