[At-Large] [ALAC] Fwd: ITU Council Decision on WCIT Open Access to ITR Documents

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:53:23 UTC 2012

Dear All,

In Prague, we have established that ICANN is not a Regulator not even close
whether that is with a "r" or "R". This is ICANN's Compliance position. In
fact their mandate is to supervise the contractual obligations at purely
contractual level.

At the end of the day, countries continue to remain sovereign and impose
their laws that reflect the political will of the people that they govern.

Personally, I hold the view that as stakeholders or part of belonging to an
Internet Ecosystem was that there was a respect and recognition for the
diversity of stakeholders that exist, whether these are governments,
private sector and civil society. The various actors that also exist are
too numerous and each one has a role to play. It becomes wise therefore to
exercise diplomacy.

Personally, if anything the Pacific region through APRALO has to justify
its budget requests for simple things like capacity development and then
have it taken away compared to actual real legitimate work that other
stakeholders outside of ICANN have been putting their money, resources and
committment to doing.

For the development world, talk is cheap and we can also make up our own
minds. Before any position is taken, the constituents of the broader At
Large community have to be consulted.

Gone are the days where people blindly follow, there has to be legitimate
reason and rationale.

Sala