[At-Large] [GTLD-WG] Amazon, Google And Others Going After Generics

Antony Van Couvering avc at avc.vc
Sun Jun 17 21:44:49 UTC 2012

Don't forget the absolutely daunting application process and terrifying acronym-laden bureaucracy - all in a different language/culture.  If you wanted to design something to scare people away you couldn't have done it more effectively.

Most of it was constructed without any reason other than to mollify interests who cared nothing about Internet stability or security but were only fishing  around for excuses to stop the program.

The lack of take-up on the funding offers came as no surprise as our company had offered free or very cheap services to disadvantaged applicants, and we had no takers. This tells me that money was not the issue. The impenetrability and complexity of ICANN seem to me to be far more likely culprits.

Sent from my iPhone