[At-Large] Registrars: The new travel agents? (was Re: [GTLD-WG] Amazon, Google And Others Going After Generics)

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Fri Jun 15 19:10:34 UTC 2012

Evan,

The enemy of your enemy isn't necessarily your friend. It's great that Amazon and others are entering this area, and it will indeed herald a new age of services for consumers. I hope you will read the applications and think about what they will mean for them though. The current registration industry may have many flaws, but bypassing them isn't necessarily better; we just may find ourselves exchanging one set of flaws for another.

If Amazon makes domain names available under .SMILE, it will own all the second-level registrations. This certainly makes whois accuracy easy. Amazon will be your one point of contact for everything. I certainly expect that this will make life easier for law enforcement. If Amazon decides to make .SMILE names available to its users, they will use them solely at Amazon's pleasure under Amazon's terms of service.

I would argue that highly distributed assets like we have under the current registration model provide more power and long-term stability to users who want to have ownership interests in their Internet assets.

So now we may have a more diverse group of registration spaces, with highly distributed open models competing with single-registrant, highly controlled models. But the new model is like trading home ownership for a tenancy in an apartment building. Of course, if you have a benevolent landlord, you might never notice the difference.

Nevertheless, I hope you, and the rest of the ALAC, give the newcomers the same scrutiny you give to the applicants from the registration industry.

     Bret