[At-Large] [WHOIS-WG] Fwd: WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report

Antony Van Couvering avc at avc.vc
Wed May 16 18:31:54 UTC 2012

I hear what you're saying, but many people who have domain name registrations are also consumers, and many non-registrants may become one.  I understand the emphasis by At Large groups on non-registrants, but I would hope that people here will recognize that domain names ownership has a large potential for growth, and hence many non-registrants today may become registrants tomorrow.  If, as I expect, the use of domain names becomes much less difficult, then a transition into a system that is not harmful to registrants will be beneficial to them.

I have learned that it is often inaccurate to generalize about what people want from my own preferences and experiences.  It turns out that I am different and better informed about domain names, spam, etc. than most people.   Therefore I try not to take my own preferences and convictions as any guide.

Antony