[At-Large] [WHOIS-WG] Fwd: WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue May 15 22:13:50 UTC 2012

Dear Antony:
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I have no doubt what you say on
criminal intent and behaviour is both reasonable and logical.  I'm equally
certain that the status quo cannot be the answer.  I  am  even willing to
posit the trademark trolls of your example bears with all of us an equal
share of risk from faulty WHOIS data.

If you review the Thin vs. Thick WHOIS argument, proponents of the thin
model implies a direct causal relationship between record accuracy and
model implemented.  That is too much knowing of the 'state of mind' of
criminals for my comfort.

So it appears that what separates us is framing an effective solution,
beginning with actionable data and information.

Real world experience tells me that the efficacy of any defensive regime in
this case rests on the sanctions associated with violation.  And yes, the
cost/benefit analysis of implementation should inform the likelihood of
implementation of any solution.

Any effective response will require the solution place the hurt where it
belongs, with the perp.  This means it will have to identify and co-opt the
money trail, separating the perp from its utility.

I suspect this is where the parties to the problem are even further apart.

Kind regards,
- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799