[At-Large] [WHOIS-WG] Fwd: WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue May 15 15:07:49 UTC 2012

Dear Patrick:
Your intervention is curiously confusing since it begins by alleging a
position to this ALAC that you later on appear to junk.

In the last little while, I have 'held the pen' more often than not on ALAC
WHOIS Statements.  I believe the statements I have crafted faithfully
reflect the consensus opinion of the At-Large.  Furthermore, if you examine
them closely, you will see a concession to privacy interests and our
consistent recommendation for a policy position that acknowledge these.

We agree to disagree respecting your view on privacy vis-a-vis WHOIS.  Your
position condemns ordinary users who are hurt by bad actors to do without
the basic information to initiate redress of grievance.  Undoubtedly WHOIS
information to a class of better informed interlocutors could likely be
fruitful.  But information discrimination of the kind suggested against
victims of dissolute behaviours adds insult to injury. Count me out.

All aside, I am curious as to the identity of the individual allegedly of
outsize influence "who have a business interest in an open-to-anyone
WHOIS".   If you should be taken seriously, this person is fingered as
responsible for this reversal of fortune to your position.

Clarity is an absolute requirement here. Or you might otherwise be fairly
accused of a blood libel.  And a demand for redress of grievance.

Kind regards,
- Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799