[At-Large] [WHOIS-WG] Fwd: WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue May 15 13:59:34 UTC 2012

On 15 May 2012 08:21, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> Actually without SOIs from all ALAC and RALO leaders we have no idea who
> may our may not have commercial or other interest.

It always helps to fact-check before making accusations.

A number of the participants in this discussion, proponents of WHOIS
accuracy and supporters of the RT report, have already published SOIs --
including myself<https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Evan+Leibovitch+SOI>,
Carlton <https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Carlton+Samuels+SOI>and
Alan <https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Alan+Greenberg+SOI>. And
ALAC has already engaged the ICANN staffer who designed the GNSO SOI system
to do the same for ALAC.

Patrick's specific accusation is that commercial intrerests have swayed the
ALAC position in favour of WHOIS accuracy. I have challenged that
accusation, and offer contrary evidence. In the meantime, I am still
awaiting confirmation from Patrick which At-Large leaders -- or even
non-leader membership -- has demonstrated any of the motives that form his
accusation.

>  Also since a commercial entity can become an ALS, it is difficult to make
> a sweeping statement that there are no underlying commercial interests.

It always helps to fact-check before making accusations.

The current guidelines<http://www.atlarge.icann.org/correspondence/structures-app.htm>about
ALS criteria preclude commercial entities. ALSs must be
membership-based organizations. Those members may themselves be commercial
entities, but the ALS itself must be  primarily engaged in serving its
membership. There is no demand for non-profit incorporation since that
designation is not globally universal or accessible. These are minimum
criteria, I am aware of at least one ALS that was denied membership in
recent memory because its aims were deemed by the RALO to be too commercial.

> I fear that perhaps thou doth protest too much.  I always worry when I see
> such an indignant response to a question about hidden motives.

And worries can be as completely baseless as accusations.

If there are hidden motives, by all means let's expose them. Given the
current atmosphere regarding conflicts of interests within ICANN, exposure
of agendas is heartily welcomed by many including me. But to do so requires
more than an evidence-free guess.

- Evan