[At-Large] [WHOIS-WG] WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Tue May 15 09:15:03 UTC 2012

On 15 May 2012, at 05:38, Patrick Vande Walle wrote:

> On 14/05/12 21:44, Carlton Samuels wrote:
>> Michele:
>> Any other position would be both ahistorical and worse, demonstrate a touch of schizophrenia. A review of previous ALAC statements pertaining and our intervention on the RT initiative in particular should suffice.
>
> Historically, going back to the interim ALAC, this group had a strong pro-privacy stance.  I noticed over the last 2 or 3 years that the statements evolved in the opposite direction, possibly under the influence of some who have a business interest in an open-to-anyone WHOIS.
>
> Historically, the ALAC cared for all individuals, even those registering domain names. Now, the latter are told to move on to NCUC.
>
>> In fact, look close enough and you'd find some movement in this final report to the ALAC's pronounced view.
>
> Indeed. At long last,  the need for some privacy system is acknowledged, even  going as suggesting to regulate privacy providers.  Now, I actually wish I can live long enough to see this implemented some way or another.
> We had more than 10 years to do that, and we didn't. There is no sign this is going to happen any time soon.
>
> Speaking of regulating privacy providers, I do not understand why the review team did not suggest to allow registrars only to provide these privacy services as an integral part of their registration service. One would just need to update the RAA.

That's oversimplifying things

Offering privacy services is risky as you will get embroiled in legal battles, UDRPs etc etc

>  Many registrars already provide this service.

No. Many registrars offer the service via another corporate entity.

Most privacy services are NOT offered by the same entity as the registrar

>  Others could join in.  There would be no need to regulate yet another bunch of new players. If the registrars are serious in their privacy services, there might even be no need for proxy services at all.

That final  statement makes no sense to me.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions ♞