[At-Large] [WHOIS-WG] Fwd: WHOIS Policy Review Team Final Report

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Tue May 15 04:38:43 UTC 2012

On 14/05/12 21:44, Carlton Samuels wrote:
> Michele:
> Any other position would be both ahistorical and worse, demonstrate a
> touch of schizophrenia. A review of previous ALAC
> statements pertaining and our intervention on the RT initiative in
> particular should suffice.

Historically, going back to the interim ALAC, this group had a strong
pro-privacy stance.  I noticed over the last 2 or 3 years that the
statements evolved in the opposite direction, possibly under the
influence of some who have a business interest in an open-to-anyone WHOIS.

Historically, the ALAC cared for all individuals, even those registering
domain names. Now, the latter are told to move on to NCUC.

> In fact, look close enough and you'd find some movement in this final
> report to the ALAC's pronounced view.

Indeed. At long last,  the need for some privacy system is acknowledged,
even  going as suggesting to regulate privacy providers.  Now, I
actually wish I can live long enough to see this implemented some way or
another.
We had more than 10 years to do that, and we didn't. There is no sign
this is going to happen any time soon.

Speaking of regulating privacy providers, I do not understand why the
review team did not suggest to allow registrars only to provide these
privacy services as an integral part of their registration service. One
would just need to update the RAA.  Many registrars already provide this
service.  Others could join in.  There would be no need to regulate yet
another bunch of new players. If the registrars are serious in their
privacy services, there might even be no need for proxy services at all.

Patrick