[At-Large] Public Board Meeting - the Update for Prague

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed May 9 16:55:32 UTC 2012

On 05/08/2012 03:54 PM, Carlton Samuels wrote:

>> (6) With respect to transparency. the Board has
>> been publishing rationales for each of its
>> decisions

I've seen that it it does represent progress.

It is ironic that when I was on the board I was severely criticized by
other board members when I made it a practice of publishing the reasons
for my votes when I was on the board.  (These are still visible at
http://www.cavebear.com/archive/icann-board/diary/index.htm )

I find it silly that ICANN continues its mode of one-week traveling
circuses.  This was originally adopted because "the IETF did it that
way".  But it evolved into a pressure-cooker week in which it is mainly
the participants who meet and the ICANN board becomes nearly invisible
except for a few, very few tightly scheduled "meetings" - "hearing"
would be a better word as there is very little intellectual interaction,
questioning, or give-and-take going on.

It strikes me that the periodic week long traveling meetings no longer
serve a real purpose and that a new format would better serve everyone,
except the hotel, airline, food, and alcohol industries.

	--karl--