[At-Large] Public Board Meeting - the Update for Prague

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue May 8 16:20:07 UTC 2012

Dear Roberto,

good to hear from you here!

On 07/05/2012 21:58, Roberto Gaetano wrote :
> While on the Board I have argued often that those could be written beforehand and distributed, leaving the prime time at the plenary only for questions and answers on the repor!
>  ts. This must not necessarily take place after the public forum, and t
> herefore Friday, but can also take place on Thursday before the public forum

One problem I have with the Board reports/vote being done either right
after the public forum or before it, is that Board members will not act
directly on what they've heard in the public forum. In San Francisco,
opponents to .XXX took an impressive 30 minutes to explain their case.
It was fascinating to see ICANN "outsiders" put their point across to
the Board and I hope that the Board took this into account in their
voting the next day. I am sure much discussion took place on the Board
closed meeting on Thursday night before all Board members made their choice.
That said, of course, I don't believe that Board member choices were
made solely on what they had heard in the public forum, but at least,
the public forum was taken into account. I am not sure how this will
take place now.

Kind regards,

Olivier

--