[At-Large] Role of ICANN in US/Verisign seizures of .com domains

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Fri Mar 9 17:02:32 UTC 2012

Carlton et al

As a registrar based in the EU every time I see these kind of stories I get very nervous.

Gambling (both online and offline) is legal in Ireland. As far as I know most of the big Irish sites are using .com domain names, but have been blocking US users from accessing them. But if the US were to seize those domains this would have a horrible "chilling effect".

The Wired.com article on recent seizures is worth reading http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/feds-seize-foreign-sites/

I suspect that this will be a fairly hot topic this week in Costa Rica

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions