[At-Large] Proposed ALAC statement on reserved names for the IOC and Red Cross

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Mar 4 21:32:59 UTC 2012

I will be commenting on the specifics of the statement, but to set
the record straight, I have told the DT that to the extent that there
have been ALAC comments (and Evan has certainly been one of them),
the general feeling was that ICANN should not be extending special
protection to these two organizations. Some of the members of the DT
have been formally representing their constituencies/SGs. That has
not been the case for me and I don't think I have ever represented my
participation as representing ALAC except at the times that I gave
the above disclaimers.

My own participation in the DT has been from a perspective of given
that the Board *has* extended special protection, how can we make the
details of that protection least-onerous to the community in general,
to those organizations, and to ICANN (and I have made it clear to the
ALAC Executive Committee and others) that this has been my goal. That
is quite close, I think, to the position that Jeff has taken.

Alan