[At-Large] Fwd: IAB statement: "The interpretation of rules in the ICANN gTLD Applicant Guidebook"

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Feb 8 23:43:58 UTC 2012

> Could someone explain this in layman's terms? It just says names shouldn't
> look like IPv4 and Ipv6 addresses and this might muck up certain IDNs,
> right?

Pretty much.  It also says that RFC 1123 hasn't been updated to consider
IDNs, so that even though you can encode all sorts of stuff in an IDN,
they should also stick to alphabetic or the equivalent.

I wouldn't be the least disappointed if ICANN took this opportunity to put
the new TLD mess back on hold until they can resolve these and the other
outstanding issues.

And I just have to laugh that they're looking for volunteers to evaluate
applications from people who want to pay less.  Even "less" is $57K.  Why
should anyone do that work for free?

R's,
John