[At-Large] [ALAC-Internal] GNSO Council Motion on Cross-Community Working Groups

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Jan 21 02:59:43 UTC 2012

I am a bit confused by this statement and by similar ones made by
others. I completely agree with the sentiment, but am unsure how it
applies here.

The issue being discussed is what principles should govern (if indeed
there should be any) how "Cross Constituency Working Groups" will be
formed, run and report. In the worst case, if these rules are
repugnant to At-Large, or will not satisfy our needs, then we will
not likely enter into such groups (at least in the cases where there
is this discontinuity). It does not say anything about any other
working constructs that we may enter into, nor what we do with the
results of a CCWG (or any other WG), nor what we do in other venues
(including some future multi-party WGs that are not deemed to be "CCWG"s).

So how is it construed that these rules (if indeed they end up being
used) can alter our Bylaw mandated role?

Bottom line is that just as we cannot force the GNSO to enter into a
relationship that they find inappropriate, they similarly have no
ability to force us into a role that we do not want.

Alan