[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Dec 1 17:19:26 UTC 2011

> thick vs thin is down to who stores and displays the whois data, not the amount of data being displayed
>
> You can have as much, or as little, whois data on a .com as you would on a .org

Hypothetically, you're right.  In reality, we all know that the quality of
thin WHOIS ranges from about the same as thick down to nothing at all.

Given ICANN's limited ability to do compliance, the chances of them
getting a thousand thin WHOIS registrars to behave is far less than the
chances of a somewhat smaller number of thick WHOIS registries.

Regards,

PS: Even if ICANN goes ahead with hundreds of new TLDs, it is unlikely
that there will be as many as a dozen underlying registries.