[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Nov 26 02:52:01 UTC 2011

At 25/11/2011 05:35 AM, Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:

>Thank you for pointing the discussion back.
>
>I do prefer thin WHOIS, because every party has to provide the information
>which can be verified by the party itself and for which the party is liable
>directly (they simply has to know their contrators/customers/resellers).
>
>So thin WHOIS make the chain of responsiblity visible without preventing
>access to information (despite local law might oppose).
>
>Thick WHOIS is the model to hide the chain of responsiblity by copying
>personal data (of a third party) outsite of the jurisdiction of the contract
>parties.

I guess I don't follow your logic. I agree that the chain of
responsibility is generally visible for the thin model (although some
registrars make it a bit difficult to identify the reseller, and I
don't think anyone identifies nested resellers, which can be nested many deep).

But for the thick model, the registry identifies who the registrar of
record is, so the chain is equally visible.

I understand the concern about sending data outside of the
jurisdiction, but that does not seem to be linked to hiding the chain
of responsibility.

Alan