[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Nov 24 15:59:41 UTC 2011

2011/11/24 Lutz Donnerhacke <lutz at iks-jena.de>

> None of us is allowed to bypass the local law, just because we like to do
> so. There were various and heated policitcal controversies for decades to
> find a balance between privacy and maintaining social order.

This is not about social order, it's about accountability.

I appreciate the previous reference made that notes that real estate
ownership in most countries is public information.
So society has had no problems with public access to contact information
for real addresses,
Why should the rules be different for virtual addresses?

And one of the outcomes of those debates is: Yes, privacy outlaws low
> level crime by default.

As has been detailed in real-world evidence provided by multiple people in
this thread, domain privacy is *demonstrated* to be an enabler of crime.

Your PoV is based on theory and wishful thinking; theirs is based on actual
investigations and dealing with the consequences of hidden or obfuscated
WHOIS.

- Evan