[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Nov 22 23:53:14 UTC 2011

On 22 November 2011 17:58, Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

> > Enforcing an accurate and thick WHOIS allows you to have some clue that
> the
> > entity that created that directory entry is legit, either before or after
> > the fact.
>
> Sonme of us believe that there ought not to be a domain name whois at all;

That "us" is almost exclusively registrants, a set of vested interests
within ICANN whose voices are heard through their own representative
constituencies. That we now have such a lack of compliance in (and respect
for) WHOIS indicates that such interests have held sway so far.

But this is At-Large, whose members have no voice elsewhere within
ICANN. Most people who use the Internet and don't own domains do not, in my
experience, share the sentiment above. I welcome the opportunity to confirm
or refute this, but as yet I haven't found one non-domain-owning individual
who believes that such a regime to be suitable. And I've asked many.

It is oft (and increasingly) claimed outside ICANN that it is wildly out of
touch with the world at large ... this is a perfect example.

- Evan