[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Nov 22 17:16:59 UTC 2011

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
Em: evan at telly dot org
Sk: evanleibovitch
Tw: el56

On 22 November 2011 11:44, Patrick Vande Walle <patrick at vande-walle.eu>wrote:

> In any case, criminals will continue to put invalid data in the
> WHOIS, whether thick or thin. Cheating on identity is nothing new.

Yes. But clearly ICANN complaince has neither the resources nor the will to
prevent this. It ought to be brought to the realm of conventional laws such
as fraud.

If registrars added a big  warning in red letters on their web site saying
> so, rather than 10 pages long legalese, they would lose a lot of potential
> sales in gTLDs.

Maximizing sales of gTLDs is not, as far as I know, a strategic objective
of the At-Large Community.

- Evan