[At-Large] Issue Report on Thick Whois

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Tue Nov 22 16:52:07 UTC 2011

On 22/11/11 17:34, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> End users do not buy domains. Their level of participation is at a
> different level and they are not part of the ICANN food chain.
>> I do disagree with this classification.
> You are welcome to disagree, but the role of At-Large is now fairly well
> defined in the ICANN bylaws and that is what we work with. There are many
> other constituencies within ICANN who are charged with speaking for
> registrants. At-Large is the only body within ICANN that speaks for
> end-users who are adversely impacted by opaque and unaccountable domain
> ownership information.

At USD 15 a year, anyone can buy domain names, even individuals. You can
even get email hosting and a  blog included at that price. Hence, there
are no reason why the At-Large should not care about these individual
Internet users.

If there was a ICANN constituency or AC representing the interests of
individual domain names registrants,  I would be most interested to know
which one.

Patrick