[At-Large] RES: ICANN's next CEO: a letter to the Chair of the Board

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Thu Sep 22 11:06:08 UTC 2011

Yes huge knowledge and wisdom will be needed.

Any new CEO / President coming into the arena should insist on an open process as without it the job already very challenging will be effectively ended before it can begin.

BUT

Let's not forget that as Chairman Steve Crocker needs by his side a leader with international perspective who has the courage together with the social and intellectual skills to involve communities inside and outside the ICANN reality distortion field. The President is not there to make policy even on the hoof! It is a job to enable engagement, prevent capture and facilitate policy development and implementation across all communities.  A me-too manager will find the ambiguity, the distribution of powers, the dotted lines between entities and individuals who need to be on the same page to complete key processes and tasks on the to do list a very tough challenge.

In the end the decision has to be with the board which Steve Crocker must be allowed to lead. I wish them well.

Christian