[At-Large] eG8 Forum

Cintra Sooknanan cintra.sooknanan at gmail.com
Thu May 19 13:05:00 UTC 2011

Good day to all,

I have put a draft statement together based on the emails on this issue
(below) for your kind review and comment. We may require more info in the
Intro and Final Paragraphs.

Regards

Cintra Sooknanan

====================================================================================================================

[INTRO] At-Large is the component of end-users, not business nor
technical community
within ICANN’s multi-stakeholder environment. At-Large is represented by the
ALAC, which has been essential in driving development of the Internet by
maintaining openness and ensuring accountability and transparency.

The ALAC lauds the French Presidency’s objective of the G8 to

- Improve everyone's access to the Internet;
- Enable everyone to participate in global networks and promoting respect
for freedom of expression and opinion;
- Improve security of the Internet and protection of individuals;
- Recommend examination of the Internet's economic and technical
challenges.[FNOTE1]

We recognise that several internet organizations (including ICANN, W3C, IAB
and ISOC) have been invited to participate in the eG8 Forum (24-25 May,
Paris) gathering the “leaders of the Internet” and acknowledge that the
outcomes of the discussions will be submitted to the G8 itself for
discussion.

Therefore, we find it at odds with this objective and the equal-footing
awarded to all Internet stakeholders, that the ALAC and other non-commercial
actors which promote and represent the end-users were not invited to
participate. This omission is particularly blatant, as participation of
private sector appears to be tied to sponsorship.

We hope that the French Presidency will achieve success in its objectives
but this will only be possible if it can understand and include the
perspectives of all stakeholders.

[FNOTE1]
http://www.g20-g8.com/g8-g20/g8/english/-fiches/the-internet-new-challenges.420.html