[At-Large] Privacy and domain abuse vs the IP constituency

Derek Smythe derek at aa419.org
Sun May 8 18:12:15 UTC 2011

On 2011/05/08 16:47, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
> What registry operators can reasonably know, having access to their
> own, and any and all other gTLD zone files through the zone file bulk
> access right, is patterns of registration utilizing one or more
> registrars, and one or more namespaces. I believe that that is the
> expectation of Derek Smythe.

You make an excellent point regarding registry operators, however I
have no issue contacting a relevant domain registrar and pointing out
abuse using domain from that registrar, also similar abuse patterns by
that party at another registrar if applicable. At the end of the day
that registrar is much closer and quicker to the registrant than the
registry, be it via a reseller or other method.

At this stage the registrar has to decide how convincing the evidence
is. Naturally this ties in then with self-blinding.

> Eric
> [2]
> http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decisions/isysquery/65a5a693-7086-4d06-a0d2-13e6c9981866/2/doc/08-3947-cv_opn.pdf
Though off topic, eBay has gone beyond it's original business model
and is spending a small fortune fighting fraud in terms of funding and
manpower. Fraud not only hurt them in terms of credibility, but also
in lack of faith in online auctioning in general by end users in
certain high value sectors.  Registrars may well learn a lesson from
them since there is an overlap in terms of international fraud. I take
my proverbial hat off to eBay. The issue is "loss over X-value" as
defined in various countries which dictates how law enforcement
prioritizes an issue.

Derek