[At-Large] [NA-Discuss] GAC Scorecard Comments due by 25 March

Hong Xue hongxueipr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:14:16 UTC 2011

Dear Evan,

Many thanks for the added part on PDPDR. It is terrific.

For substantive evaluation, I do see your point but still cannot go with
GAC. No rule-making can satisfy all the parties and interests. We can only
stick to our priority and focus. If at-large has to pick a side between
trademark registrants and new gTLD applicants, I'd rather choose the latter
if free speech and free flow of information are implicated by the
trademarks.

Indeed trademark registrations varies significantly among territories. In
some territory, a trademark registration can be completed in roughly 4 days
and an applicant can literally register any character or device, even though
some are extremely inappropriate for the registrants to obtain the exclusive
rights. If GAC model is adopted, these non-evaluated registrations would be
as valid as other "real" registrations, which may be convenient for
trademark registrants to fight against new gTLD strings. But why should
ICANN policy be so trademark-friendly?

Absolutely no race among regions-:) Particularly I've not seen anyone
joining me from my Region-:(

Hong

--
Dr. Hong Xue