[At-Large] Audio of Influencing ICANN: What Role Will World Governments Have Over Internet Domain Functions?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Mar 22 19:50:20 UTC 2011

Thanks for the info, Cintra,

On 22 March 2011 10:19, Cintra Sooknanan <cintra.sooknanan at gmail.com> wrote:

> "On March 21, 2011, just days after ICANN* rejected the advice of its
> Government Advisory Committee and allowed the creation of .XXX,

Small point of clarification.

The GAC response to .XXX indicated a split opinion. Some member countries
were ambivalent and some were strongly opposed.

There was concern expressed about Internet stability due to the possible
blocking of .XXX in individual countries should it be approved; I would
note, though, that the GAC has been silent to date on *existing* TLD-level
blocking by some countries (notably, .il). So, with a precedent already set
and without its complaint when *that* happened, the GAC is in a compromised
(and certainly weaker) position wrt the threat of TLD blocking.

- Evan