[At-Large] Protest at tomorrow's ICANN meeting

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Mar 18 00:09:35 UTC 2011

On 17 March 2011 15:47, John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> > I see no reason to believe that .xxx is an assumed commercial success. If
> > demand doesn't exist -- if the industry indeed does not want it, then it
> > will fail. Then the industry gets what it wants -- a failed TLD --
> without
> > putting ICANN in the position of making content-related TLD judgments.
>
> Part of the application process for a sTLD is to show that it is supported
> by the community it intends to serve.  Looking at the history of every
> sTLD, I think we can fairly say that whatever process ICANN used to verify
> the alleged support was completely incompetent.

For better or worse, the applicant demonstrated sufficient sponsorship to
ICANN's satisfaction. That FSC demonstrates that THEIR community doesn't buy
in, doesn't necessarily negate the validity of the claim. Even the existence
of a supportive sponsoring community does not guarantee success. (see
".aero")

- Evan