[At-Large] Protest at tomorrow's ICANN meeting

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Mar 17 06:02:07 UTC 2011

On 03/16/2011 10:31 PM, Neil Schwartzman wrote:
> I hope some who are in attendance will also check out this protest. I
> think this articulates a widespread frustration with ICANN's
> responsiveness, in general.

I very much disagree.

ICANN is not the world's sex monitor.  Or to use stronger words, ICANN
is not the world's censor of the internet nor is ICANN a tool for
would-be censors.

(Similarly, ICANN ought not be a trademark monitor.)

ICANN does not force anyone to use or not use any particular part of the
domain name system.  ICANN is not a creator of internet ghettos - except
for human lemmings who fail to see that they possess the power of choice.

The reason that ICANN has become more bloated than Jabba the Hutt is
that ICANN rarely says "that is not our job".

But with .xxx ICANN has, for once, done the right thing.

Whether .xxx is used by people who like the Roman numerals for 30, or by
people who like images of the three crosses on Calvary, or by purveyors
of TNA is simply not of ICANN's concern.

If you think that .xxx is to be banned then I suggest that there is an
argument that could be made for banning something that many consider
worse than sexual porn - and that would be images of murder and torture
of human beings.  Yet consider how that would denude the internet of
great works of Christian art or books on the lives of saints.

         --karl--