[At-Large] Impressions from the Whois-Review

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Feb 2 22:27:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

I believe there is a middle way. As a registrant-user, I just found the constant reference to vanity domains highly offensive and was showing other terms that one could use that might be equally as offensive without going anywhere near a Godwin.  And yes,  I know that there are many legitimate uses of the information but if it is out there for anyone to look out it will be misused, no matter what the rules say about it.

I do believe there are ways for us to have our proxies, to give correct information, and for legitimate access to the information to be possible while protecting privacy. I spent years working towards it during one of my more optimistic periods in ICANN, i.e.  when I still believed we could all get along. (Actually I still believe that! Pitiful, I know.)

I did not ignore any of the stuff you think I ignored. I just mentioned several misuses that have happened to me (yes, I still have some of my whois info in the open - though I am slowing moving to a wonderful registrar that automatically proxies it - I love them).  I even paid for a Skype dial-in number so I could have a true number they could call that i would never have to answer but which would give me messages.  But I hate that my address is there for all to see.  And since I am the type who sometimes antagonizes people (imagine that), having my address displayed so prominently is a personal liability in this age of violent crazies.  It makes me uneasy.

Just imagine if all of the address information and phone numbers that are sometimes required to get user accounts were publicly displayed.  Would this be a good thing?  I mean it is not only registrants that sometimes do bad things.  People who don't have a domain names can do bad things on the network too. For example, there are all those lovely people who send me exciting notices about the rewards and investment opportunities.  They don't have domain names, but without assuming anything untoward about them as a class, I bet at least some of them are not on the up and up, no matter how sweet they might appear.  So are you also suggesting that there should be a global public users list with names and addresses for all email accounts?  It is the same thing as far as I can tell, it is not like they need and email account? Or is it?

a.