[At-Large] Impressions from the Whois-Review

Beau Brendler beaubrendler at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 2 20:44:37 UTC 2011

It also concerns me when I see labels used like "law and order" in conjunction with statements made that the at-large leans toward the "law and order" side...which is somehow in opposition to the "privacy" side? We are not going to find middle ground with that world view. I have used "law and order" to characterize my perspective, coming as I do from a decade writing about Internet crime -- but it can't just be assumed that I'm "anti-privacy." I can't think of any consumer organization or advocate in the world who could be characterized as being against privacy protection. Most of the time, though, privacy dialog at the consumer advocacy level doesn't penetrate to WHOIS, but is more about behavior of corporate marketers and data aggregators, poor standards for breach notification, etc.