[At-Large] RES: Proposed statement of the ALAC regarding the current situation in Egypt

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Wed Feb 2 10:52:18 UTC 2011

* McTim wrote:
>> There is an ICANN related aspect with revocation of IP addresses from the
>> global routing as happend in Egypt. The IP addresses given out to the LIRs
>> there are assigned within a policy which requires a useage pattern. By
>> revoking the addresses from the BGP routing, the claimed use pattern is
>> violated and therefore the assignment is not longer permitted.
>
> I would have to disagree, and, being a former hostmaster at a RIR, I
> have some perspective on this.   Addresses are assigned to interfaces.
> Those interfaces are still up (presumably) and still need addresses.
> We give out IPs to folk who never want to connect to the public
> Internet, but still need to do internetworking. Hopefully, your
> proposed statement was in jest!

As a hostmaster of a LIR, I know the inquisitorous questions from the
hostmasters of the RIR very well. I'm only allowed to assign address for a
given purpose and if this purpose is not longer valid, I have to revoke the
assignments.

Of course, I can apply for internal usage and will obtain public address
space if necessary. But I can't transfer address space given out for hosting
usage into private usage. That would violate the policy.