[At-Large] RES: Proposed statement of the ALAC regarding the current situation in Egypt

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 09:27:57 UTC 2011

Hi Lutz,

2011/2/2 Lutz Donnerhacke <lutz at iks-jena.de>:
> * Adam Peake wrote:
>> Anyway, a question from technical ignorance (as
>> usual :-)). Are there technical implications for
>> the rest of the Internet to causing ASs to become
>> unreachable?

A little bit of route flapping....pretty trivial, probably a small
increase on DNS server load.

The ISOC note covers some issues,
>> but from ICANN/IANA perspective is this a bad
>> thing.  If yes, ICANN should comment, as should
>> ALAC
>
> There is an ICANN related aspect with revocation of IP addresses from the
> global routing as happend in Egypt. The IP addresses given out to the LIRs
> there are assigned within a policy which requires a useage pattern. By
> revoking the addresses from the BGP routing, the claimed use pattern is
> violated and therefore the assignment is not longer permitted.

I would have to disagree, and, being a former hostmaster at a RIR, I
have some perspective on this.   Addresses are assigned to interfaces.
 Those interfaces are still up (presumably) and still need addresses.
We give out IPs to folk who never want to connect to the public
Internet, but still need to do internetworking. Hopefully, your
proposed statement was in jest!

--
Cheers,

McTim