[At-Large] privacy, was Impressions from the Whois-Review

Franck Martin franck.martin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 21:12:19 UTC 2011

Jon,

Why I agree the WHOIS needs to be accurate and may be non-obfuscated (I'm still undecided on this one, if there is a way to check emails sent to contacts are received and replied to), your arguments are the same as clamping on freedom to gain security and you will deserve neither.

If people are too stupid, so may be, let it be?

But what is dangerous, is that it creates an underground economy that creates a real organised crime that has implication on by-standers.

My argument, is the Whois is a mess, it is a bad job, it reflects poorly on ICANN as the keeper of records. It needs to be fixed, once records are well kept we can decide who has access to it.

Cheers