[At-Large] 9th Circuit Court ruling on ICANN Contract.

Roberto Gaetano roberto at icann.org
Sun Jan 9 21:58:02 UTC 2011

Derek Smythe wrote:

> But then again, to register a vehicle, proof of identity is required.
Fine. I said that registration data for a domain name have to be complete
and correct. I am not at all against the fact that the owner has to be
identified by the registration authority.

> Also, vehicles do not traverse international borders without
> passing some form of customs point. At that border
> checkpoint, the vehicle driver's identity will be verified
> and it will be determined if he is allowed to pass that
> point. Such exit/entry will be registered.
> Potentially the vehicle may be inspected.
Besides the fact that there is a difference between the owner and the
driver, as the great Miles Davis said: "So What?".
I thought I made it clear that authorized bodies had to have access to
registration information. Authorized bodies include not only the authority
issuing the licence plates, but also the customs authority at the border. I
maintain that it does not include the general public. I am not aware of
situations in which data collected at the border checkpoint are made public.
Do you?

> Domains are used for services that span borders and are not
> subject to these same checks (though some are trying to
> implement just that).
Miles Davis' 32-bar statement applies here as well ;>)

> So yours is not really a good comparison.
I'll leave it to the readers to judge.

Cheers,
R.