[At-Large] 9th Circuit Court ruling on ICANN Contract.

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Dec 23 23:09:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

I think that civilian groups helping the police with investigations is fine, just like i think individuals helping the public see inside Cultures of Secrecy is a good thing.  There is definitely room for citizen activism.  What is critical is that any activities by the group of civilian helpers be within the rule of law and that it be the proper authorities operating under law that is within the binding International principles of human rights that are the ones to take action after due process.

Information, as long as it is not the personal information of natural persons or on other very tightly circumscribed security topics as defined in International covenants and treaties, is good and should be distributed by anyone to everyone.  And so those who collect information on people they consider the DNS bad guys should be free to publish it.  And while they need to be careful that the information is true or else they may have to deal with defamation and libel charges,  they should be free to investigate and publish what they discover.

a.