[At-Large] ICANN blog : US Government Opposes Launch of New gTLD Program in Cartagena

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Dec 3 10:22:27 UTC 2010

Hi,

ICANN StaffBoard hasn't really cared much when others asked for explanations on various decisions.  I wonder whether they will care about this request either.  Be nice to see real explanations for decisions - and the vote count with an indication of how each Board member voted.

But if they don't comply, what is the worst that can happen?  Will the NTIA withdraw from the AOC for failure to live up to the promise? And if they did, what consequence would that have.  Maybe they could move the IANA contract elsewhere, but that is a long shot and I can't see any other possible consequence.

As for determining that a study ifs fully or just half done, I expect that the ICANN StaffBoard can combine the several studies done and call them a completed study.  In some respects studies are never done (e.g. the DADT studies according to US Republicans) and in some respects a study is complete when the one ordering the study says it is.  A partial study A + follow-on studies b,c can easily be called a completed study.  In some cases studies aren't complete under you see the answer you want, and every study request can find someone to produce the required results.  Studies are useful clues, but never definitive and at best just a way to use time and employ researchers.

Somehow, I can't avoid thinking that this is just a manifestation of an ATRT wound festering.

a.